Commitment Agreement for Board Members
I understand that as a member of the Board of Directors of Reform It Now, Inc., I have a legal and ethical responsibility to ensure that the organization does the best work possible in pursuit of its goals. I believe in the purpose and the mission of the organization, and I will act responsibly and prudently as its steward. My behavior as a board member will be consistent with the values and mission of the organization.
As part of my responsibilities as a board member:
- I will interpret the organization’s work and values to the community, represent the organization, and act as an ambassador.
- I will attend at least 75% of board meetings, including committees to which I am assigned.
- I will RSVP my attendance for board meetings or board committee meetings at least one day in advance to either the Chairman of the Board, President (for board meetings) or the committee chair (for committees to which I am assigned.)
- Each year I will make a personal financial contribution at a level that is meaningful to me.
- I will actively participate in one or more fundraising activities and if unable to do so, will make every effort to participate by sharing information with others.
- I will act in the best interests of the organization, and excuse myself from discussions and votes where I have a conflict of interest.
- I will stay informed about the activities and current issues at Reform It Now, Inc. I will ask questions and request information. I will participate in and take responsibility for making decisions on issues, policies and other board matters.
- I will work in good faith with staff and other board members as partners towards achievement of our goals.
- I will serve on a minimum of one Board committee.
In turn, Reform It Now, Inc. will be responsible to me in several ways:
- I will be sent an agenda and materials seven days prior to the board meeting.
- An orientation will be provided for me during open hours of operation so that I can witness and participate, as appropriate, in service delivery. I will also be able to discuss with the staff and the board president, the internal programs, goals, activities, and status; additionally, I can request such opportunities. I understand that I will need to sign a client confidentiality form and the client observed need to sign a permission of client release form.
- The organization will help me perform my duties by keeping me informed about issues addressing financial/ economic challenges, and other challenges for area families. Also, I will be offered opportunities for professional development as a board member.
- Board members and staff will respond in a straightforward fashion to questions that I feel are necessary to carry out my fiscal, legal and moral responsibilities to this organization. Board members and staff will work in good faith with me towards achievement of our goals.
- If the organization does not fulfill its commitments to me, I can call on the board president and executive director to discuss the organization’s responsibilities with me.
I understand that submitting the Application form is the legal equivalent of signing and dating the document.